Monday, June 10, 2019

June 10, 2019

Mission Statement:

-To increase the accuracy of the public’s perception of homelessness

Contributors are designated by number only for the day on which what we have to say is published; the numbers aren’t permanent identifiers.

The anonymity is to protect the identities of contributors, who have every reason to fear retaliation from the shelters which are supposed to help us, and from the shelters as employers.  


June 10, 2019


Homeless Human 1:


I was in a transitional program at the Pine Street Inn women’s shelter for a couple of years, about 20 years ago.  They charged us 30% of our income to live in that program; we didn’t know that they weren’t supposed to be taking our money.  A few years after I left, the Pine Street Inn contacted me and refunded me $5,000.

I knew about a husband-and-wife team who worked for the Pine Street Inn.  They were fired for embezzlement.

I’m a guest of the Pine Street Inn now.  I have spent the last several months filling out housing applications with an advocate at the Women’s Lunch Place.  I finally asked her why I hadn’t heard back from anywhere she’d helped me to apply.  That’s when she realized that she had messed up my address on all of the applications.  All of my housing work was for nothing.  What am I supposed to do now? 



Copyright Homeless Humans, June 10, 2019 

Discussion of the Minutes from the July 24, 2019 Community Meeting at the Pine Street Inn Women’s Shelter

-It’s not surprising that the only thing that the director seemed to take from the July 24, 2019 meeting was that one of the guests said...