Sunday, March 24, 2019

March 23, 2019


Mission Statement:

-To increase the accuracy of the public’s perception of homelessness

Contributors are designated by number only for the day on which what we have to say is published; the numbers aren’t permanent identifiers.

Homeless shelters aren’t named, also to protect the identities of contributors, who have every reason to fear retaliation from the shelters which are supposed to help us.  


March 23, 2019



Homeless Human 1:

We should be able to have the same beds from Friday night to Monday morning.  Then the shelter wouldn’t have to worry about washing the sheets for the weekend unless they were extremely dirty, we could use the lockers upstairs and get a break from carrying our things around all day, and we could also get a break from having to be at the shelter for hours in the afternoon for the bed distribution. 

_____________



Homeless Human 2:

Hi.  I am a homeless woman, living in a shelter in Boston.  I have been ill twice with pneumonia during my time at the shelter, and I have also developed acute pancreatitis.  I have been unable, due to my illness, to take care of the issues related to my car, which are:  renewing the registration and getting an inspection sticker. 

When I got out of the hospital, I went to the registry and was informed that I owe $2,000 in parking tickets, which I couldn't afford to pay outright in order to register my car.  I haven’t driven my car since it’s been unregistered.  However, it’s insured.  I asked to make payment arrangements with the parking office, but they wouldn’t allow me to do that.  I asked to meet with someone at the parking office to file an appeal, but I was denied.  They told me that if I had a handicapped placard I could have the hearing that day; however, I don’t have one.  I also have a history of breast cancer, cardiac arrest after the surgery for breast cancer, two myocardial infections, septic shock, and a stroke. 

I struggle to be well on a day-to-day basis.  The parking ticket situation is a stressor that has affected me very negatively, in terms of my health.  I was given very little help by the two parking clerks that I spoke with at the parking office at City Hall. 

That evening, I began looking on Craigslist for a rental space for my car, to get it off the street.  The costs for rental spaces were things like $125/month, $300/month, $400/month.  I was lucky to find one for $80/month.  However, I was too tired to do it that night, as it was quite late. 

The next morning, I found a green Notice To Owner sticker on my car, which says:

“This motor vehicle has been declared abandoned under MGL Chapter 90. Sec. 22B and Chapter (illegible) of 1988.  Unless this vehicle is removed and disposed (of according) to law by the owner, the City will do so and charge the owner under Chapter 212 of the Acts of 1988.  Such charge will mean that the owner will be fined $250 (plus costs for removal and disposal) for the first offense and $500 (plus costs) for each offense thereafter.  Failure to pay fines and fees under this section will lead to registration and license non-renewal.  Conviction of multiple offenses may lead to license suspension.  This is the only notice you will receive prior to any such action.”

Being a homeless person in Boston is a totally demoralizing experience in so many ways.  You find market-rate rents are unaffordable.  It’s next to impossible to afford to keep a car in Boston as well as find affordable housing. 

I feel that the cities and towns are callous and cold and make a huge amount of money off citizens through tickets and the refusal to compromise, despite extenuating circumstances and a medical history that many people would not have even survived. 

My car is beginning to cost me what I paid for it.   I have a spotless driving record.  Now I can’t use my car to work.



Copyright Homeless Humans, March 25, 2019

Discussion of the Minutes from the July 24, 2019 Community Meeting at the Pine Street Inn Women’s Shelter

-It’s not surprising that the only thing that the director seemed to take from the July 24, 2019 meeting was that one of the guests said...